Re: trying to install bullseye for about 25th time.

On Thursday, 9 June 2022 11:03:52 EDT David Wright wrote:
> On Thu 09 Jun 2022 at 03:31:30 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:

> > > Turn the camera off first?
> >
> > I don't think thats enough, Cannon, Nikon and Olympus (I have one of
> > each) seem to power the card even when the mechanicals are turned
> > off, so removing the battery first might be safe. All 3 have to be
> > turned on before digikam can access them, but the card contacts are
> > so buried I can't verify socket power. The Cannon is the only one
> > that hasn't destroyed its original card and its usb socket is both
> > fast and dependable, the usb socket is worn out on the other two.
> > Its also the only one with a removable to  recharge lithium battery.
> > The other 2 have a quad of AA's in them. That remove to recharge is
> > a pita, as the recharge takes 8 hours. And no one stocks that
> > battery so you can have a ready spare. The cannon takes the best
> > pix, but that rules it out for use by a wedding photog unless he's
> > carrying a second, fully charged backup. Thats all immaterial to
> > this though.
>
> That's remarkable. Do the cameras have real on/off switches, or are
> they just soft? That said, my mobiles have never given me problems
> with removing their cards, even though their on/off switches are soft.

IDK for sure, David, I'm going by the clue which is that I can remove the
card, import to digikam from a reader, put the card back in the camera,
turn the camera back on and the camera will not recognize it again, but I
can put tha card back in the reader, and its all there, back in the
camera, its not recognized again. In 2 earlier cameras, a new card it had
no problems recognizing.  Thats my clue. The cannons usb port is still
functioning so the card has only been out of it once, before digikam grew
a cannon driver with the buster release.  How I interpret that clue is
driven by my electronics troubleshooting history which starts in about
1950 when I quit school and went to work as a tech.  That fed me well for
the next 52 years, and still does.

Thank you David.
> Cheers,
> David.