Re: AW: AW: AW: Here Newbie---Amateur in Linux...Problem: Debian LXDE cannot boot.. Is it destroyed?//Second try Hotmail bug Sorry

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 07:18:48PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Mon 25 Apr 2022 at 17:24:29 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> > > I am aware that this ISO has non-free packages for a wireless
> > > connection and that any needed will be used and installed by
> > > d-i. However, what about micorode packages, firmware-intel-sound,
> > > bluez-firmwarem and dahdi-firmware? At which stage(s) of an
> > > installation does d-i become aware of them?
> > >

> > Some of these are recognised at inital boot: if unsure, they can be
> > added. For myself, I normally install the metapackages firmware-linux-nonfree
> > and firmware-misc-nonfree which solve the problem. As the discussion elsewhere
> > on Debian mailing lists is showing, it is really very difficult indeed to
> > do without all firmware.
>
> The need for a non-free WiFi firmware is recognised and the user is
> given the choice to install it or not. I have never come across d-i
> offering to install other non-free packages, which is what one would
> expect. Are you sure they are even considered?

I'm fairly sure that microcode may get installed. As I say, I get round
the problem by installing the two metapackages which pull in everything
needed.

> The "discussion elsewhere" seems to be specifically about firmware
> and looks to be going somewhere. About time!

As someone who also works with the images team: I have the highest regard
for the opinions of Steve McIntyre and Andy Simpkins with whom I work
whenever we do release testing.

All the best, as ever,

Andy Cater