Re: AW: AW: AW: Here Newbie---Amateur in Linux...Problem: Debian LXDE cannot boot.. Is it destroyed?//Second try Hotmail bug Sorry

On Mon 25 Apr 2022 at 17:24:29 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 06:15:40PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Mon 25 Apr 2022 at 16:59:57 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Sophie,

> > > We still don't know what the actual computer you use is :(
> > >
> > > Unless it is a (very old) 32 bit only machine, I would recommend
> > >
> > > https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/11.3.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso
> > >
> > > This is unofficial only because it contains non-free firmware. The firmware
> > > may be necessary for your machine to boot and work well: it will almost
> > > certainly be required if you are installing over a WiFi connection.
> >
> > I am aware that this ISO has non-free packages for a wireless
> > connection and that any needed will be used and installed by
> > d-i. However, what about micorode packages, firmware-intel-sound,
> > bluez-firmwarem and dahdi-firmware? At which stage(s) of an
> > installation does d-i become aware of them?
> >

> Some of these are recognised at inital boot: if unsure, they can be
> added. For myself, I normally install the metapackages firmware-linux-nonfree
> and firmware-misc-nonfree which solve the problem. As the discussion elsewhere
> on Debian mailing lists is showing, it is really very difficult indeed to
> do without all firmware.

The need for a non-free WiFi firmware is recognised and the user is
given the choice to install it or not. I have never come across d-i
offering to install other non-free packages, which is what one would
expect. Are you sure they are even considered?

The "discussion elsewhere" seems to be specifically about firmware
and looks to be going somewhere. About time!

--
Brian.