Re: Debian 9 Xfce intermittent keyboard and mouse erratic behavior or lockup

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 05:28:35PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> On 4/21/22 13:50, David Wright wrote:
> > On Thu 21 Apr 2022 at 01:02:56 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
>
> > > What package do I file a bug report against?
> >
> > It's not clear from reading your posts (unless it requires some
> > correlation, on my part, of your observations) whether you have
> > had storms on USB2 ports on several machines,
>

> Yes -- at least two laptops and one desktop.
>

> > or only on ones that appear to work intermittently.
>

> The USB 2.0 ports in the desktop are the most recent lock up.  I do not
> recall a lock up in the laptops recently; just GUI random pointing device
> storms.
>

> > If the former, have they always involved the KVM?
>

> The USB 2.0 failures occur with and without the KVM switch.
>

> The USB 3.0 correct behavior occurs with and without the KVM switch.
>

> > Do you configure the mouse at all, bearing in mind that unplugging
> > and replugging it may lose that configuration. (I don't know how
> > KVMs fit into this model.)
>

> Changing pointing device settings via Xfce Applications Menu -> Settings ->
> Mouse and Touchpad does not seem to affect the failures, but I have not made
> many changes.
>

> > Always bearing in mind that reporting against Debian 9 might only
> > result in a stifled yawn.
>

> The same problem exists in Debian 9, 10, and 11.  I can readily file bug
> reports against Debian 9 and 11 (I wiped and reused my Debian 10 SSD).
>

> David

Hello David(s)

Bearing in mind that LTS support for Debian 9 Stretch ends in approximately
two months (2022-06-30), I'd suggest that a bug report there will probably
not attract significant attention, though there is likely to be a final
point release as it goes out of LTS.

I would advise anybody running Debian 9 now to consider moving forwards to
10 or 11. Debian 10's EOL for stable support before transition to LTS is
approximately 2022-08 - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

If it's a bug on 9/10/11 and there's a KVM involved - it's likely to be
the KVM in all honesty - I have similar problems with a KVM not recognising
a trackball until it's unplugged/replugged. USB 2.0 for that one.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater