Re: Debian 9 Xfce intermittent keyboard and mouse erratic behavior or lockup

On 4/20/22 2:23 AM, Dieter Rohlfing wrote:
Am Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:43:35 -0700
schrieb David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>:

I have been experiencing intermittent storms of random keyboard and
mouse GUI events over the past year or more:

Same for me.

System is Debian 9.13 (kernel 4.19.0-0.bpo.19-amd64, XFCE desktop) running
on an ASRock DeskMini H110M.

Thank you for the confirmation.

STFW:

https://www.asrock.com/microsite/DeskMini/#Specification

It appears that platform supports Intel processors with integrated graphics:

CPU Supports 7th and 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors (Socket 1151) (Max. TDP 65W)

I have seen the keyboard and mouse issues on the following hardware:

1. Dell Inspiron E1505, Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 processor, Intel GM 945 chipset (Intel® 82945GM Graphics and Memory Controller). I believe Debian uses the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver.

2. Dell Latitude E6520, Intel Core i7-2720QM processor, Optimus graphics (Intel HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA NVS 4200M discrete graphics). I typically disable Optimus in the CMOS setup, which disables the Intel graphics. Debian uses the nouveau driver.

3. Desktop with Intel DQ67SW motherboard, Intel i7-2600S processor with Intel HD Graphics 2000. I believe Debian uses the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver.

I'm running this combination with several hosts, but the storm only
appears with the ASRock PC. Even with another mouse and keyboard the
symptoms remain. So I think the storm mainly depends on the bare host and
not on the peripheral components.

My WAG is that a bug was introduced in the X Windows and/or desktop drivers 1~2 years ago on Debian 9, 10, and 11.

At the moment I'm tinkering with the C-states. I disabled C6 and C7 in the
BIOS and added the following options to the kernel command line:

processor.max_cstate=3 intel_idle.max_cstate=3

Because the symptoms appear randomly, I can't say anything about a
possible solution. I'll continue watching and will report, when I have any
news.

Please let us know if you make any progress.

David