Re: Wayland vs X

* On 2022 12 Mar 06:38 -0600, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 07:22:11AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> >
> > The other defines multiple separate "desktops", which are logically
> > arranged into a grid for purposes of indexing and access, but which are
> > individually independent; anything sticking off the edge of any one of
> > them is not visible anywhere. That, as I understand matters, is the
> > feature commonly called "virtual desktops". It's my understanding that
> > this feature *is* possible via, and maybe even directly supported by,
> > Wayland.
>
> And then, there are window managers (Fvwm) which offer "big" desktops
> (where the visible screen is a window into, which can be moved around
> seamlessly) and then several of that "virtual desktops".

That is what I recall from a bit over 25 years ago when I bought a 1.2
GB hard drive to have enough space to install the X disk sets in
Slackware 96.  The default WM was Fvwm95 and I used it with a large
virtual desktop for several years.  Then I chose to try Afterstep, then
IceWM for some time before moving into the desktop world alternating
between KDE and Xfce and now Gnome for the most part and my virtual
desktop equals the screen size.

Gnome calls them "workspaces" and I typically use four per screen.  It's
default is to create them dynamically but I use a fixed number.  This
way I set up my work flow the same as on systems where I used Xfce which
defaults to four desktops.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB