Re: Wayland vs X

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 07:50:33AM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2022 12 Mar 06:38 -0600, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 07:22:11AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> > >
> > > The other defines multiple separate "desktops", which are logically
> > > arranged into a grid for purposes of indexing and access, but which are
> > > individually independent; anything sticking off the edge of any one of
> > > them is not visible anywhere. That, as I understand matters, is the
> > > feature commonly called "virtual desktops". It's my understanding that
> > > this feature *is* possible via, and maybe even directly supported by,
> > > Wayland.
> >
> > And then, there are window managers (Fvwm) which offer "big" desktops
> > (where the visible screen is a window into, which can be moved around
> > seamlessly) and then several of that "virtual desktops".
>
> That is what I recall from a bit over 25 years ago when I bought a 1.2
> GB hard drive to have enough space to install the X disk sets in
> Slackware 96 [...]

Ah, memories. I'm older: my first one was Twm ;-P

After an excursion which took me all the way to Gnome (I liked those
around 2-ish, actually), then to Xfce I'm back with Fvwm. Phew.

Fvwm95 I never understood: it wants to look & feel like Windows95. I
hated Windows since 3.1 :-)

> Gnome calls them "workspaces" and I typically use four per screen.

To come back on topic: can Gnome (is their WM still called Metacity?)
straddle workspaces with the viewport?

Otherwise we'll stick with our more advanced WMs ;-)

Cheers