Re: Wayland vs X

* On 2022 10 Mar 17:04 -0600, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> didier gaumet wrote:
>
> >> OK, thanks, I won't switch then I think ... I like feh and
> >> use it a lot.
> >
> > Just to be clear in case there would be a misunderstanding
> > because my sentence was not accurate enough: what I meant is
> > feh (for example) is not directly compatible with Wayland, but
> > can be run in the X11 compatibility layer of Wayland
> > (Xwayland, the nested X server that can be run inside
> > Wayland)
>
> No, I understood, but that sounds like too much emulator ...

My understanding is that xwayland is an X server that runs under
Wayland and the idea is that it handles X protocols but Wayland handles
the video drivers and screen drawing.

I have used Gnome on Wayland since late 2018.  It improved a lot with
the release of Bullseye.  I use this setup on two machines, a laptop and
a desktop that has two monitors.  So far I have not had any issues with
any Debian provided packages.  They just work, including feh which I call
from neomutt to display images.  No fuss, no configuration, it just
works.  I've even built and locally installed GTK2 apps without issue.

I did have a display issue with a proprietary third party program that
was built with some older version of Qt, as I recall.  That has been
replaced by a version that is FOSS and it works fine.  On the desktop
with dual monitors I have xscreensaver running and it has the most
issues with detecting events as when I do strictly keyboard work it will
time out and start running a saver.  Moving the mouse wakes it up.  It
also glitches at other times even when using the mouse, but this is not
a show stopper for me.  It also doesn't handle DPMS on Wayland either
which I can live with (I'm sure the built in Gnome blanker works just
fine).

My GPUs are stock Intel on board graphics as I don't game nor do I need
fancy 3D capability.  This hardware is sufficient for displaying the GL
screen savers and for whatever compositing requirements Gnome has.

HTH

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB