Re: Wayland vs X

On 2022-03-12 at 01:29, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 03:41:09PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> The most important one for my purposes, and therefore the one that
>> I remember, is the ability to have multiple desktop-like things
>> which are actually all just viewports on one much-larger single
>> area [...]
>
> There seems to be some basis to it. And some solution. But then,
> you're perhaps bound to a specific toolkit [1] [2] or perhaps
> compositor.

> [1] https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/wayland-display-server/1074550-kde-now-has-virtual-desktop-support-on-wayland
>     and the links therein.

It's more complicated than that, unfortunately.

There's a reason I didn't use the phrase "virtual desktops" in my
description of this feature; the X spec defines *two* things which are
sometimes called by that name.

One of them has a single large "desktop" with multiple viewports into
it; on that one the parts of one window that stick off the edge of one
viewport overflow into, and can be seen through, an adjacent viewport.
That's the feature I was talking about, but it is *not* the feature most
commonly called "virtual desktops", although some WMs (including, IIRC,
e16) do call it that; I don't know if it has any other dedicated name,
although the X spec does refer to it in different terminology. My
understanding is that this is the thing the Wayland developers saw as so
odd that it couldn't possibly be used/wanted by anyone and had to just
be a historical-curiosity wart on the spec.

The other defines multiple separate "desktops", which are logically
arranged into a grid for purposes of indexing and access, but which are
individually independent; anything sticking off the edge of any one of
them is not visible anywhere. That, as I understand matters, is the
feature commonly called "virtual desktops". It's my understanding that
this feature *is* possible via, and maybe even directly supported by,
Wayland.

It's difficult or impossible to tell for certain from the limited
discussion in the links provided, but it looks to me (having dug through
as far as the Phabricator discussion) as if what KDE added support for
is the latter.

(FWIW, e16 apparently supports *both* of these features, although the
major rewrite that was e17 and later dropped support for the first one;
that's one of the reasons I haven't moved forward to newer versions of
Enlightenment.)

--
   The Wanderer