Re: Wayland vs X

didier gaumet wrote:

> - with X, you launch X with startx that is set up via .xinitrc
> and/or .xsession to suit your goals

Yes, well, there are other files of course, notably
~/.Xresources (loaded with 'xrdb ~/.Xresources', conveniently
from ~/.xinitrc) which hold settings that are/can be general
(cross-application) to some extent, e.g.

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.Xresources

> - with Wayland, instead, you launch a compositor (a
> window-manager that implements the Wayland protocol, sort of).
> You have the choice of the compositor (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_display_servers#Wayland
> ).

Hm, I use a compositor for/in X as well, it is launched in
.xinitrc before the window manager, I've heard it makes
toggling between windows in X faster and what I can tell (not
100) it seems to be the case as well. E.g.

  picom &
  openbsd-cwm &

in

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.xinitrc

> So how you set up and launch the compositor depends on the
> compositor chosen , I imagine (cf respective manpages).
> And if you want to execute pure X applications that are not
> Wayland compatible, you must first launch Xwayland (
> https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland#Xwayland )

What are the pure X applications? This is the software I use
almost every day

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/SOFTWARE

The ones that start with an "x" are xterm and xpdf ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal