Re: Wayland vs X

* On 2022 11 Mar 15:10 -0600, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> That was exactly what I asked here a few days ago. And I was told that I
> was incorrect, that Wayland was simply a better implementation of X. That
> the old implementation X.org was still under active development. Showing
> that I was mistaken.
>
> But if you read stuff online on this subject, you read exactly what I
> wrote: that the X protocol is old and outdated, the X source is largely
> unused at runtime, no real mindshare for X.org among X developers.
>
> Here's an example of these views from 2021, at linuxiac.org:
> "Most of the features that the X Server protocol provided were not used
> anymore. Pretty much all of the work that X11 did was redelegated to the
> individual applications and the window manager. And yet all of those old
> features are still there, weighing down on all of these applications,
> hurting performance and security".
> https://linuxiac.com/xorg-x11-wayland-linux-display-servers-and-protocols-explained/
>
> I'm just trying to find out what the real story is.

Keith Packard, a long time X developer, gave a talk at Linux Conf.au[1]
in early 2020 about X history and politics[2].  As I recall (it's been
two years since I watched it), much of what you wrote above echos
Keith's comments.

- Nate

[1] https://www.keithp.com/blogs/tags/lca/
[2] https://youtu.be/cj02_UeUnGQ