Re: trying to get bookworm net going on an rpi4

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 4:28:56 PM EST Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 04:08:34PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > Greetings folks;
> >
> > Let me say first that I'm around 150 miles from any ipv6 capable
> > network, just to get that out of the way.
> >
> > Its booted to a text login and the first thing I did was import a
> > saved copy of the hosts file, and added rpi4-20220122.coyote.den
> > with an alias of rpi42 to that file. Then I edited
> > /etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0 to set a static address, and added a
> > dns-nameserver 192.168.xx.1 line to it, my router and gateway, and a
> > second additional line to set /proc/sys/ net/.../eth0/disable_ipv6
> > to a 1. And I've checked, disable_ipv6 is now a 1.
> >
> > But that's not enough, ip a, after a /e/i/networking restart, still
> > shows its active, so I assume its sending its dns request out the
> > ipv6 portal and my router is a dummy load for anything ipv6. So I
> > can ping all the local machines, but cannot look up yahoo.com.
> >
> > So question one:
> > So what is the official, works in bookworm every time, way to totally
> > kill ipv6, making it use ipv4 for everything?
> >
> > This ought to be in a FAQ somewhere. Except everybody has their own
> > method. :(
> >
> > And question 2:
> > I noticed also, there is not a first user, can I assume the first
> > time
> > adduser gets run it will assign him/her/it as user 1000 AND will put
> > that user into sudoers?
> >
> > Again, this is the 20220121 bookworm.
> >
> > Thanks all.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett.
>
> Gene,
>
> a. Debian or Raspberry Pi OS bullseye updated to bookworm?
>
> b. Why testing/Bookworm specifically?

cuz I gave up trying to make a realtime kernel work on raspios's
bullseye.

> c. Your machine or somebody else's. If somebody else's, I'd really
> recommend sticking to Bullseye as more people can help.

Will be someone else's about 3000 miles west of me. I have 2, 64G u-sd
cards I'm installing on but when they work in my machine, will be sent
back to him. In the process, I'm using my rpi4 as a test mule.

> Q2. There probably _is_ a first user. If this is Raspberry Pi OS, the
> first user will be user pi, with gid 1000

I've looked at /edtc/passwd, pi does not exist in it.

> Users will only be added to sudo if you do so. if you set up Debian,
> and explicitly say you do not want a root user / set a blank password
> then the first user _will_ be added to sudo as a special case.
>
> All the very best, as ever,

While this confirms its Debian's version, built this past Friday for
armhf, it does nothing to answer my first question above. The other end
user has a similar situation in that he is at least 40 miles from the
nearest ipv6 capable connection. To me, this is a pita, if the guys that
write the dhcp code would get out of their mothers basement and visit the
real world, they would check to see if there was a working dns at its
usual ipv6 address, AND REVERT to ipv4 automatically if its not found!
The existing situation leaves it up to us to figure out how to disable it
unconditionally for every install we do. ipv4 works just fine out here in
the puckerbrush, if we can get ipv6 the hell out of the way.

I'm not frustrated with you Andy. But I think Debian has some pretty
smart coders who seem to be wearing tunnelvision glasses and can't see
the bigger picture that exists 5 miles away from the isp's premises.

That's frustrating, and should be fixed. Looking at the acreage where
ipv6 IS available, I'd guess it is less than 1% of this whole country,
why shove this down our throat?

> Andy Cater
>

> .

Cheers, Gene Heskett.