Re: trying to get bookworm net going on an rpi4

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 04:08:34PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> Greetings folks;
>
> Let me say first that I'm around 150 miles from any ipv6 capable network,
> just to get that out of the way.
>
> Its booted to a text login and the first thing I did was import a saved
> copy of the hosts file, and added rpi4-20220122.coyote.den with an alias
> of rpi42 to that file. Then I edited /etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0 to
> set a static address, and added a dns-nameserver 192.168.xx.1 line to it,
> my router and gateway, and a second additional line to set /proc/sys/
> net/.../eth0/disable_ipv6 to a 1. And I've checked, disable_ipv6 is now a
> 1.
>
> But that's not enough, ip a, after a /e/i/networking restart, still shows
> its active, so I assume its sending its dns request out the ipv6 portal
> and my router is a dummy load for anything ipv6. So I can ping all the
> local machines, but cannot look up yahoo.com.
>
> So question one:
> So what is the official, works in bookworm every time, way to totally
> kill ipv6, making it use ipv4 for everything?
>
> This ought to be in a faq somewhere. Except everybody has their own
> method. :(
>
> And question 2:
> I noticed also, there is not a first user, can I assume the first time
> adduser gets run it will assign him/her/it as user 1000 AND will put that
> user into sudoers?
>
> Again, this is the 20220121 bookworm.
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>  - Louis D. Brandeis

Gene,

a. Debian or Raspberry Pi OS bullseye updated to bookworm?

b. Why testing/Bookworm specifically?

c. Your machine or somebody else's. If somebody else's, I'd really
recommend sticking to Bullseye as more people can help.

Q2. There probably _is_ a first user. If this is Raspberry Pi OS, the
first user will be user pi, with gid 1000

Users will only be added to sudo if you do so. if you set up Debian,
and explicitly say you do not want a root user / set a blank password
then the first user _will_ be added to sudo as a special case.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater