Re: Why did Norbert Preining (having maintained KDE) left Debian?

On 2022-01-23 08:53, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> [Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside]
>
>> This is a mailing list, not a airport. No need to announce any departure.
>> If you feel there's something better then go for your own faith.
>>
>> The basis of community based software is pretty simple :
>> If you ain't happy you have two possibility
>> 1. Use something else
>> 2. Make a fork and do the modification you feel like needed
>>
>> That's all the spirit behind GPL / LGPL.
>>
>> No need to bring in politics and other ideas that only live inside your
>> mind.
>>
>> Maybe you are still living under the ruling of McCarthyism ?
>>
>> Thanks for the show, you seem very good at writing scripts so why don't
>> you now try to write code and fill in what's needed to make the software
>> meet your need.
>>
>> I won't be the only one happy to see the new distribution that you will
>> be the master head behind. Hope you'll be reactive with bug fixes and
>> all the problems you expect other to do for you.
>>

> The basis of community based software is contributing consstructively to
> the community, as you've outlined. Debian is a volunteer organisation -
> we can't force people to contribute. When they do, we ask them to be
> constructive - to disagree with positive intent and not to dig at each
> other - not to push people's buttons just because you can.
>
> That often fails - but we try to make a helpful, constructive atmosphere.
> Everyone can get frustrated, annoyed that someone just isn't seeing their
> point - angry - at some time or other but that isn't helpful in the long term.
>
> Much of Debian is text based communications: all sorts of people in all sorts
> of situations and it's easy to propagate misunderstandings. On the
> (increasingly) rare occasions when we get together for something like a
> Debconf - we discover we're also a social organisation of real people.
> You get to see people and hear them - or think "Wow, XYZ is a giant" or
> "Hey ABC has multi-coloured hair - wow, I didn't know that from their
> avatar"
>
> We get people sharing with the lists that they're sick in some way, we
> mourn with the families of our colleagues who die - we're human. We
> get to be happy when people show photos of their brand new baby, or their
> hobby - they become three-dimensional. Text messages don't show that -
> but attitudes do. With enough time, you flesh out real people behind
> the interactions.
>
>> --
>> Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside
>> -Be smart, Be wise, Support opensource development

You resume it quite right, for community software to go forward there's
a need to have a higher demand on a Code of Conduct and other "social
standards" because the software is socially built if I can say it this way.

This oppose to commercial software or commercial companies. If you don't
like much your job, you'll still contribute because your pay is needed
for you to pay groceries and your home.

When you give your energy to a community based project, you get two
things back. The first is some work done and the second is pride in what
you do. That's it.
Yes in some case maybe your boss benefits from what you contribute to a
project but that's in no way linked to the project itself. This applies
if the business your work for kind of loan you as employee to put hours
on the project.

But even there, there's a even better need for cooperation and this can
only be enforced one way. With a code of conduct.

No one want to invest time in any project to get back a basket of
comment of the type :
There's the red army around
All the problems in the world are caused by democrats
The world is doomed...
etc.

If we'd want such type of comment then we'd watch TV and choose of the
appropriate channel to meet our expectation.

The goal if to have a safe space for everyone to be able to contribute.

Not everyone has the infinite patience you have.

There was a time we'd keep toxic people because they we're good
contributor or had good skills. Now we discovered that this cause more
problem on the long term and even less productivity because other don't
want to join.

This is not part of what's called the past on the line of time.

Thanks for the good work.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside