Re: Why did Norbert Preining (having maintained KDE) left Debian?

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 05:59:40AM -0500, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

> On 2022-01-23 04:52, deloptes wrote:
> > Marco Möller wrote:

[Marco Moeller]
> >> I feel that a concise statement from Debian insiders would gain a lot to
> >> not provoke avoidable discussions and would right away defeat heat given
> >> off obstructively.

I provided this late lat night UTC - it was posted on behalf of DAM and
is in this list - subject line starts [SUMMARY STATEMENT]

[deloptes]

> > I will be not surprised if I replace debian with something else in the
> > future. Not because I care that much about the **** CoC, but because the
> > ideologically motivated organization will not be able to deliver the
> > expected quality.

Debian has always been ideologically motivated for the 26+ years I've used it.
Most of the ideology has been around creating a good Linux distribution
based around Free software. Our ideology on licence terms is well known.
The Debian Free Software Guidelines and Social Contract have been out
there as our gold standard. if you're a Debian maintainer or developer,
you're expected to sign up to these as part of the conditions of holding
that status.

Likewise the Code of Conduct: most projects now have a Code of Conduct
attached to them. This one was voted on and accepted by the Debian
developer community. It's fairly straightforward: I reference it in
the FAQ posted here monthly.

Much of it comes down to treating people with respect and being constructive.
This series of posts from you is on the edge of acceptable. Please consider
that this list is publicly archived all over the place: please also
consider that this list, Debian IRC channels and other Debian media
are governed by the Code of Conduct.

[Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside]

> This is a mailing list, not a airport. No need to announce any departure.
> If you feel there's something better then go for your own faith.
>
> The basis of community based software is pretty simple :
> If you ain't happy you have two possibility
> 1. Use something else
> 2. Make a fork and do the modification you feel like needed
>
> That's all the spirit behind GPL / LGPL.
>
> No need to bring in politics and other ideas that only live inside your
> mind.
>
> Maybe you are still living under the ruling of McCarthyism ?
>
> Thanks for the show, you seem very good at writing scripts so why don't
> you now try to write code and fill in what's needed to make the software
> meet your need.
>
> I won't be the only one happy to see the new distribution that you will
> be the master head behind. Hope you'll be reactive with bug fixes and
> all the problems you expect other to do for you.

The basis of community based software is contributing consstructively to
the community, as you've outlined. Debian is a volunteer organisation -
we can't force people to contribute. When they do, we ask them to be
constructive - to disagree with positive intent and not to dig at each
other - not to push people's buttons just because you can.

That often fails - but we try to make a helpful, constructive atmosphere.
Everyone can get frustrated, annoyed that someone just isn't seeing their
point - angry - at some time or other but that isn't helpful in the long term.

Much of Debian is text based communications: all sorts of people in all sorts
of situations and it's easy to propagate misunderstandings. On the
(increasingly) rare occasions when we get together for something like a
Debconf - we discover we're also a social organisation of real people.
You get to see people and hear them - or think "Wow, XYZ is a giant" or
"Hey ABC has multi-coloured hair - wow, I didn't know that from their
avatar"

We get people sharing with the lists that they're sick in some way, we
mourn with the families of our colleagues who die - we're human. We
get to be happy when people show photos of their brand new baby, or their
hobby - they become three-dimensional. Text messages don't show that -
but attitudes do. With enough time, you flesh out real people behind
the interactions.

> --
> Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside
> -Be smart, Be wise, Support opensource development

With every good wish, as ever,

Andrew Cater

[For and on behalf of the Community Team]