Re: Why did Norbert Preining (having maintained KDE) left Debian?

On 22.01.22 15:24, songbird wrote:
Thomas Schmitt wrote:
When this topic came up i googled around for learning about the actual
conflict.
This mail by Norbert Preining

   https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2018/12/msg00032.html

describes his view on his demotion from Debian Developer to Debian
Maintainer by the  Debian Account Mangers (DAM) initiated by the
Anti Harassment team (AH, now Community team).
His mail quotes some of their mails. The follow-ups contain replies by
the other side of this conflict.

I think the further deterioration of his relation with Debian stems from
there, but i did not explore 900 matches of

   https://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search?P=Norbert+Preining&DEFAULTOP=or&B=Gdebian-project&SORT=&HITSPERPAGE=10

Have a nice day :)

   excellent reply and pretty much my own feelings on the matter
too.  :)

   if people want to keep trolling on the matter it's all fine with
me but it doubtful it will shed any more light in relation to how
much heat it will give off for not much gain.

   songbird

Asking for transparency to sound like trolling wasn't my intention. I am sorry if I wasn't able to find the correct wording for keeping these to things distinguishable.

Being a grateful user of Debian, and being in my circle of influence a strong advocate of the Debian project, and also of the KDE Plasma desktop environment as available in Debian, I do not feel it to be, lets say, insolent, if interested in community affairs. Actually, I feel it desirable to stay well informed for reinforcing advocacy, and asking for transparency is to me a coherent step.

I feel that a concise statement from Debian insiders would gain a lot to not provoke avoidable discussions and would right away defeat heat given off obstructively. As Thomas pointed out, there are hundreds of posts from years old discussions which appear to be the prelude to the current situation. Some of these public discussions have been quite controversial, partly also questioning if community processes are always taking place sufficiently transparent. Currently I find only a public statement from one party. This could harm the Debian project. Some concise statement from somebody in the Debian project with insights into the issue could prevent Debian from bad repute by declassifying which are the positions of the present disagreement.

Best wishes,
Marco