Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On 2022-01-22 at 18:38, gene heskett wrote:

> On Saturday, January 22, 2022 4:20:07 PM EST Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 01:57:38PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
>
>>> So my resolv.conf says to search coyote.den, and failing that,
>>> use my isp's nameserver [...]
>>
>> Again: that is NOT what the resolv.conf file does.
>>
>> The /etc/nsswitch.conf file *SHOULD* tell your system to use the
>> /etc/hosts file first, and DNS second.  At least, that's the
>> default and the norm.
>
> Maybe I'm losing it, but I don't see any such directives in this
> file, copy pasted from the miss-behaving machine.
> ======================
> # /etc/nsswitch.conf

<snip>

> hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

This is the line which contains the directives involved.

The 'files' directive tells your system to check local files first; the
list of files involved is in the FILES section near the end of 'man
nsswitch.conf', and /etc/hosts is in that list.

The 'mdns4_minimal' directive tells your system to check "multicast DNS"
first; I'm not familiar with the details of this, but Google should be
helpful. The [NOTFOUND=return] tag says - I think - that if this check
returns a report that the lookup was successful but that no match was
found, the system should return that result and stop checking.

The 'dns' directive tells your system to check the DNS system proper.
Given that this is after the [NOTFOUND=return] tag, as far as I can see
this should never be reached, but I presume it's there for a reason; my
best guess is that mDNS will usually not be available, so the check will
return UNAVAIL, which (per the man page) will by default tell the system
to continue to the next check (which is this one).

> I am not all that familiar with this file, is it funkity?

I snipped most of the file, but it looks OK to me; at a glance, it looks
roughly identical to the one I've got on my own computer.

--
   The Wanderer