Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 10:46:35PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

[...]

> Well, yes.  The "hostname" command sets the current hostname, which resides
> in memory only.  It has no permanent effect.
>
> And it has nothing at all to do with IP addresses.  Or DNS.

[...]

> Routing has nothing to do with your system's hostname.  At all.

This is so important that it bears repeating. A couple of times :)

Hostname is a host's notion of its own host name. This can be different
from the name (or names) assigned to its IP addresses by the DNS. A
machine can have zero or IP addresses, and each of those can be known by
zero or more names in the DNS. Heck, several parts of a "split" DNS
world can disagree among them as to which names those IP addresses are
known by.

Of course, giving a host a name unrelated to (some of its) DNS names is
a bad idea in general, because it tends to confuse the heck out of
sysadmins (and in some case of applications: notably, SMTP servers
answer with "Hey, I'm patrick" (using the own hostname [1]): the server
at the other end will run away if it thinks it was talking to peter.

Cheers

[1] Unless you go to some lenghts to configure your SMTP server
    otherwise.