Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Friday, January 21, 2022 7:46:40 PM EST Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 07:27:11PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > hostnamectl set hostname [foobar]
>
> The standard Debian way is to put the desired hostname in
> /etc/hostname.
>
> If I'm reading hostnamectl(1) correctly, the command you wanted should
> have a hyphen in it: hostnamectl set-hostname NEWNAME
>
> However, I've never used this command and I'm not sure what it actually
> does, or how it interacts with the traditional Debian configuration.
> > Thank you Andy. IIRC that can set domainname too?
>
> That depends on what you mean by "domainname".  There is a "domainname"
> command in the nis package, which sets the NIS domain name.  But I
> somehow suspect this isn't what you mean.  I also suspect you aren't
> talking about Kerberos.  Or Samba.
>
> Do you mean a DNS domain name of some kind?  That's my guess.  But even
> then, the concept is ambiguous.  What are you actually trying to do?
>
> In order for *other* computers to know your system by a fully qualified
> domain name, you would need to alter DNS.  Either the real live global
> DNS that everyone uses, if systems are doing DNS lookups on the public
> Internet, or else a local area network DNS server that you maintain
> interally.  Or else modify the /etc/hosts files on the other
> computers.
>
> Or perhaps what you mean is something like, "When I type telnet iota,
> I want it to act like I had typed telnet iota.gene.local."  In this
> case, you're probably aiming for a customized /etc/resolv.conf file.
> Which in turn means you need to read up on how to avoid having your
> changes to /etc/resolv.conf wiped out by roaming bands of daemons.
> I've covered this topic so many times that I'm quite tired of it, so
> just go to <https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf> and read.
>
> Or maybe you mean something else?  Please be specific.

/etc/resolv.conf has:
search coyote.den
nameserver 192.168.xx.1

the search line says to look in the /etc/hosts file, failing that, the
nameserver line sends the dns lookup query to the router which NAT's me
to my isp assigned address, and fwds it to my isp's dns server. And its
Just Worked much like that way since redhat 5.0 in 1998.

However when I set hostname with hostname, the 169.bs stays out of the
picture and networking works the world until a reboot.
Setting the hostname with hostnamectl to the alias in /etc/hosts for this
machine, gets me exactly the same hostname but then the route reported by
"ip a" is the 169.bs.bs.bs and I can't get out of my shirt pocket to even
ping the router at 192.168.xx.1.

I tried to remove avahi but apt doesn't admit to knowing it. But thats
what I had to do to buster in order to get rid of the bogus routing.
ip route won't kill it, not even to the next reboot, so how do I get rid
of the bogus 169.bs.bs.bs routing forever?  That whole avahi thing has
never been anything but a headache for me, whoever wrote it is in search
of a problem I have never had in 24 years.

My whole system here, 7 machines atm, has been as high as a dozen, is
dhcpd-less, all host name based with a common hosts file on all machines.
And until avahi sticks its camel nose in, it Just Works. So how do I get
rid of the 169.xx.xx.xx bs? Forever, with shoot to kill prejudice?

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis