Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 8:52:24 PM EST Lee wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>
> On 1/21/22, gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > This is all well and good, Greg, but it still does NOT give a clue
> > what todo when the system picks a fictitious route out of its rear.
> Once you realize that that your machine getting a 169.254.x.x address
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address
> almost certainly means that DHCP has failed, you have a pretty good
> idea of where to start -  Why did my machine ask for a DHCP address?
> Why didn't it get one?

Because there is not a running server on my local net, its all in the
hosts file, and changing the hostname torpedo's the hosts file lookups.

zero-conf stuff to me has never been anything but a headache.

> As for avahi, my notes have
>   disable multicast DNS (avahi-daemon)
>   $ sudo systemctl disable avahi-daemon
> but I have a DHCP and DNS server at home, so I'd rather have the
> zero-conf stuff turned off.
>
> Best Regards,
> Lee

Avahi, now that I do have things working again, has been removed.
Totally.

Thanks Lee, take care and stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)