Re: How to update Debian 11 source.list to testing?

On 9/3/21, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 2021-09-03 at 15:16, Brian wrote:
>
>> On Fri 03 Sep 2021 at 13:40:52 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 06:24:31PM +0100, Brian wrote:
>
>>> (...)
>>> In the absence of "pinning", using the two lines that The Wanderer
>>> posted would give you a testing system, with the option to pull in
>>> packages from stable if needed.  It's a viable setup.  Sensible.
>> (...)
>
> Absence in testing is the specific reason why I still include that line:
> in case I need to install a package because I need its functionality,
> but it's been temporarily removed from testing for whatever reason.
>
> That scenario has actually arisen a handful of times over the years, and
> the rest of the time, having the line included doesn't seem to have done
> any harm.
>
> --
>    The Wanderer

In fact, I'm just right now dealing with kinda situation.

There's this `phwmon.py`[1] which I use with fluxbox to have a couple
of system monitors at hand, and that depends on some python2 packages.
I've just made it work, installing manually (# apt-get install packages.deb)
this packages that I've downloaded from OldStable official archives:

python-psutil
python-is-python2 (this is in fact in Testing)
python-numpy
python-pkg-resources
python-cairo
libffi6
python-gobject-2
python-gtk2

Therefore, my question:

Is it better to install them as I did, or adding the line in sources.list as
The Wanderer does?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Kind regards!

[1] https://gitlab.com/o9000/phwmon