Re: How to update Debian 11 source.list to testing?

On 2021-09-03 at 15:16, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 03 Sep 2021 at 13:40:52 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 06:24:31PM +0100, Brian wrote:

>>> Surely - if you have a package installed from a previous release,
>>> it does not get removed simply because testing does not have it?
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>>> It looks to me that the first line in sources.list does not help
>>> in this situation.
>>
>> Also correct, *but* it does help if you want to install something from
>> stable that has been removed from testing.
>>
>> In the absence of "pinning", using the two lines that The Wanderer
>> posted would give you a testing system, with the option to pull in
>> packages from stable if needed.  It's a viable setup.  Sensible.
>
> The bit that neeeds emphasising is
>
>   ...give you a testing system.
>
> That is what the second entry in sources.list does.
>
> It doesn't matter what the other line is, the user is working
> with a testing system. That is where the packages come from.
>
> Having said that, the option to pull in packages from stable
> as needed is moot, apart from security updates or absence on
> testing. It looks like cargo cult.

Absence in testing is the specific reason why I still include that line:
in case I need to install a package because I need its functionality,
but it's been temporarily removed from testing for whatever reason.

That scenario has actually arisen a handful of times over the years, and
the rest of the time, having the line included doesn't seem to have done
any harm.

--
   The Wanderer