Re: How to update Debian 11 source.list to testing?

On Fri 03 Sep 2021 at 13:40:52 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 06:24:31PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Fri 03 Sep 2021 at 10:40:32 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > > deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
> > > deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
>
> > Surely - if you have a package installed from a previous release,
> > it does not get removed simply because testing does not have it?
>
> Correct.
>
> > It looks to me that the first line in sources.list does not help
> > in this situation.
>
> Also correct, *but* it does help if you want to install something from
> stable that has been removed from testing.
>
> In the absence of "pinning", using the two lines that The Wanderer
> posted would give you a testing system, with the option to pull in
> packages from stable if needed.  It's a viable setup.  Sensible.

The bit that neeeds emphasising is

  ...give you a testing system.

That is what the second entry in sources.list does.

It doesn't matter what the other line is, the user is working
with a testing system. That is where the packages come from.

Having said that, the option to pull in packages from stable
as needed is moot, apart from security updates or absence on
testing. It looks like cargo cult.

--
Brian.