Re: How to update Debian 11 source.list to testing?

On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 04:11:49PM +0200, Richard Forst wrote:
> I just installed Debian using netinstall image. I thought I install testing version, but apparently it's Debian 11. So now my source.list looks like below:
>
>     deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib
>     deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib
>
>     deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main contrib non-free
>     deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main contrib non-free
>
>     deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
>     deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
>
> I want to switch to testing version. In the past I just change the keyword from e.g. bullseye to testing, and generally there is no weird problem. But I read on the internet saying that the source.list should not mix up with different version. For instance, Debian 11 with testing. So I am wondering if there is a better way to switch to testing? Or reinstalling is the only way to go?

If you change all instances of bullseye -> testing, then you are not
mixing.  Go ahead with that, modulo the standard caveats associated with
running testing.  The problem would come if you tried to include both
bullseye *and* testing sources in your sources.list.  Then you might
create very difficult to resolve problems.

You might consider using bookwork rather than testing, however.  That is
the name of the testing release and unless you specifically want to
continue tracking testing even after bookwork is released, it is
probably better for most use cases to use the specific release code name
rather than stable or testing.

Regards,

-Roberto

--