Re: changed file while editing

On 2021-12-16 18:04, mick crane wrote:
On 2021-12-11 18:58, David Christensen wrote:

When a computer gets to the point that it is doing weird things that I
cannot understand, troubleshoot, or fix, I download the OS installer
of choice, burn it to USB, make sure my configuration files are
checked in to CVS, backup my data, remove the system disk, insert a
blank system disk, do a fresh install, take an image of the system
disk, boot, check out the old configuration files to a side directory,
edit the new configuration files (rebooting and testing as I proceed),
and restore data.  This is the only way I know to get a "clean", and
hopefully reliable, OS image.

lovely.

I've used vi for the last 3 days and it's happened once instead of
multiple times.
I'd love it to be user error, well to know what the use error is, but
I've been using basic editing with vi/vim for years and this never
happened before.
Is it at all possible that running Perl executable file somehow shares
the same memory as same file opened in vi and they get jumbled?
I don't understand why the error is random words from elsewhere in the
file get randomly inserted as opposed to garbage.
I'm inclined to get another PC and see if it still does it.

actually it happened twice
I have used find and replace
:%s/old/new/g
but error there doesn't explain it