Re: changed file while editing

On 12/11/21 7:29 AM, mick crane wrote:
On 2021-12-11 06:34, David Christensen wrote:
On 12/10/21 7:44 PM, mick crane wrote:

On Fri 10 Dec 2021 at 22:37:22 (+0000), mick crane wrote:
hello
please excuse basic lack of understanding.
I try to write some program in Perl I would find useful.
Use of editing is very basic and usually I get by with vi/vim
recently I try to get used to Nano.
In another virtual terminal if copy one file to another or something,
the command line words just now got randomly inserted into the file
I'm editing in other virtual terminal.
Which is distressing.
I'm hoping it's just fat fingers and I managed to make some macro I
didn't know about.
What bothers me is that it seems random where the words go and wonder
if opening 2 files in Nano share the same buffer or something and it
gets mixed up. Is not a problem I saw before.
Any explanation for that ?

There was something about the terminal shortcuts overriding other shortcuts in MC as well and I think I've disabled all the terminal shortcuts via the graphical xfce xterm settings menu

I adjust the Xfce Terminal settings by opening a Terminal,
right-clicking on the Terminal window, and clicking Preferences on the
pop-up menu:

  Misc
    Use middle mouse click to close tabs -> uncheck
    Auto-hide mount pointer -> check
    Rewrap terminal contents on resize -> check
    Automatically copy select to clipboard -> uncheck

Mine are a bit different there, have
Use middle mouse click to close tabs
use middle mouse click to open URLS
Auto hide mouse pointer
Open new tab to the right of the active tab
Audible bell
Visual bell
all unchecked except for Auto hide mouse pointer.
it happens again, bits of words from elsewhere in the file randomly inserted into the file.
It's not garbage so I don't think is disk corruption or memory.
As is executable I sometimes run in other virtual terminal while opened in nano.
Would that cause it?
The other thing is I installed gd, think is called, and sometimes if want to copy a single line and change one letter I shift and drag pointer over the line then middle click to paste. Dunno if that could do it. never happened in vi/vim or happened before yesterday.

mick

Have you verified your hardware -- e.g. power supply tester, memory diagnostic, HDD/SSD diagnostic, etc.?

When a computer gets to the point that it is doing weird things that I cannot understand, troubleshoot, or fix, I download the OS installer of choice, burn it to USB, make sure my configuration files are checked in to CVS, backup my data, remove the system disk, insert a blank system disk, do a fresh install, take an image of the system disk, boot, check out the old configuration files to a side directory, edit the new configuration files (rebooting and testing as I proceed), and restore data. This is the only way I know to get a "clean", and hopefully reliable, OS image.

David