Re: changed file while editing

On 2021-12-11 03:07, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 10 Dec 2021 at 22:37:22 (+0000), mick crane wrote:
hello
please excuse basic lack of understanding.
I try to write some program in Perl I would find useful.
Use of editing is very basic and usually I get by with vi/vim
recently I try to get used to Nano.
In another virtual terminal if copy one file to another or something,
the command line words just now got randomly inserted into the file
I'm editing in other virtual terminal.
Which is distressing.
I'm hoping it's just fat fingers and I managed to make some macro I
didn't know about.
What bothers me is that it seems random where the words go and wonder
if opening 2 files in Nano share the same buffer or something and it
gets mixed up. Is not a problem I saw before.
Any explanation for that ?

Well, I know nothing about XFCE terminals, but the obvious thing to
check first is that your TERM settings are correct, otherwise the
terminals, and nano, might not agree with you on where the cursor
is, and where any inserted characters are heading for.

^L is always useful for restoring some sort of sanity, but only for
as long as it remains the last keystroke you typed.

If that's not the cause, then I think a more precise narrative is
necessary for understanding what it is that you're actually doing.

Advanced notice of next suggestion: are you typing vim commands
into nano? (Easily done.)

I do find myself going to type Esc i and Esc d a bit.
When I closed all the terminals down there was something about a background process is still running. I think I must have started some process was alive in the other terminal somehow.
Was very disconcerting.
There was something about the terminal shortcuts overriding other shortcuts in MC as well and I think I've disabled all the terminal shortcuts via the graphical xfce xterm settings menu

Cheers,
David.

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31