Re: Problems upgrading from Debian 10 to 11

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 at 08:34, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Du, 12 dec 21, 11:25:14, James Dutton wrote:
> >
> > I am struggling to understand why debian would not move to the bug
> > fixed version from upstream xorgxrdp ?
> > Just to clarify, Debian has picked version 0.2.12 fairly randomly,
> > without ever testing it.
>
> This is rather dismissive of the Maintainer's work.
I apologise.

> > Version 0.2.12 results in xrdp having zero functionality.  Think P1 here.
> > The author of xorgxrdp acknowledges that 0.2.12 is faulty and should
> > not be used at all, because it does not work at all.
> > The author recommends moving to a version that actually works!
> > But will Debian upgrade it...
> > "Generally no, at least not in bullseye..."
> >
> > Where is the logic in that?
>
> Debian releases are built with the premise that versions shouldn't
> change (that's what 'stable' implies).
>
> Over the years specific exceptions were accepted and xrdb might qualify
> for one as well.
>
> Does a newer xrdp (e.g. the version in testing) even compile on
> bullseye?

I tried the newer xrdp/xorgxrdp .deb from the debian repo, but they
did not install (dependent on different libs not in Bullseye.
I then compiled xrdp and xorgxrdp from git sources, and they compiled
and ran ok in Bullseye.
That is what I am currently using, as a work around, for the Bullseye
problem I am having with xrdp.
So, yes, a newer version of xrdp/xorgxrdp does compile and work in Bullseye.

Are there any specific commands you would like me to run, to maybe
test or compile a different version?
I am happy to test anything that might help get a working xrdp, sooner
rather than later in the debian bullseye repo.

As some background. At work we have 100s of Linux virtual machines,
hosted on our own physical hardware. I.e. not AWS etc. They cover test
systems and production systems.
The work laptops are Windows (all the outsourced company will
support), and everyone uses windows "Remote Desktop Protocol" and
"putty" (ssh) to access them.
So, right now, xrdp not working kind of prevents any of those 1000s of
Linux servers from moving to Bullseye.
xrdp is actually an extremely useful tool, when integrating windows
and Linux environments.

So far, we have not discovered any other Bullseye packages that would
prevent us using Bullseye,

Kind Regards

James