Re: Problems upgrading from Debian 10 to 11

On Du, 12 dec 21, 11:25:14, James Dutton wrote:

> I am struggling to understand why debian would not move to the bug
> fixed version from upstream xorgxrdp ?
> Just to clarify, Debian has picked version 0.2.12 fairly randomly,
> without ever testing it.

This is rather dismissive of the Maintainer's work.

> Version 0.2.12 results in xrdp having zero functionality.  Think P1 here.
> The author of xorgxrdp acknowledges that 0.2.12 is faulty and should
> not be used at all, because it does not work at all.
> The author recommends moving to a version that actually works!
> But will Debian upgrade it...
> "Generally no, at least not in bullseye..."
>
> Where is the logic in that?

Debian releases are built with the premise that versions shouldn't
change (that's what 'stable' implies).

Over the years specific exceptions were accepted and xrdb might qualify
for one as well.

Does a newer xrdp (e.g. the version in testing) even compile on
bullseye?

Kind regards,
Andrei