Re: Reasonably simple setup for 1TB HDD and 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Anssi Saari wrote:

> In general, I wonder what Debian's policy is on Guix? Does it create a
> FrankenDebian? I wonder the same about Debian-Multimedia too. Some
> poeple seem to hate that, I use it for GPU accelerated ffmpeg for the
> rare occasions when I need to encode video. And they package mplayer
> too.

A FrankenDebian is a system where the repositories that .deb
packages come from have different owners and have the
possibility of conflicting with each other in ways that the
packaging system can't resolve by itself.

If you have a control system that uses apt to install packages,
that doesn't create a conflict at all.

If you have a control system that installs its own non .deb
packages in a way that doesn't break anything else -- say, using
/opt, /usr/local, /home/USER/something -- that doesn't create a
conflict.

If you have a control system which installs things over the
standard directories, possibly with the same names, it's not a
FrankenDebian but it is very likely to be a borken system very
quickly.

Deb-Multimedia (note, changed its name to reduce the likelihood
of being confused with an official Debian project) provides a
repo of packages that can conflict and create a FrankenDebian.
That said, it is very useful in certain cases. Nobody wants to
help pick up the pieces, though.

-dsr-