Re: Reasonably simple setup for 1TB HDD and 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

On 09/12/2021 00:14, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
I'd advise against doing extra over-provisioning and making /swap on
slow HDD.
IMO it is a thing of the past, especially on a home\personal computer.
Modern NAND technology and provisioning algorithms made SSDs quite
resilient.
It is more likely that a controller IC will fail than a NAND ICs will
wear off themselves during mild daily usage.

I disagree. I was quite surprised that my 2x Crucial MX500 250GB 3D
drives which I use in mdadm RAID1, saying that they are 12% used in 2
years of use. That's because I created one big partition for entire
drive and used it that way. Most of it was free anyway. They are used as
/ in my server, mostly just idling, as all work is being done on HDD
RAID (/home and /var is on HDDs too). Now, I trimmed down Ext4 partition
and mdadm RAID surface underneath it, and left free space at the end of
the drive. Slow creep of life used has stopped and I am on 12% on both
drives for few months now. Nothing else has changed, and life use stopped.
Maybe Crucial drives are just more honest than other drives who say 2%
use after 5 years of operation?

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀