Re: Reasonably simple setup for 1TB HDD and 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Hello,

On Thu, Dec 09, 2021 at 05:14:09AM +0500, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
> Bottom line, there is a high probability that your SSD will work fine for
> many years and if/when it will die for whatever reason, just replace it and
> recover data (or a whole system) from backups.

OP: I agree with this, For typical desktop home use it is not worth
worrying about write endurance these days. Not unless your workload
is unusual or you went out of your way to pick an NVMe device with
very low write endurance, which you have not: 250GB WD Blue SN550 rated
for 150TBW.

If you are still worried you could partition just half of it and use
it as a physical volume for LVM, which you might want to do anyway
to encrypt it (LUKS), Then over time you can see how much you have
written, how much life is left etc. and decide then whether to leave
it over-provisioned or extend the LVM further. It leaves your
options open.

Cheers,
Andy