Re: Pulseaudio regularly crashing; how to evaluate?

On 12/8/21, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum <bg271828@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  I wonder if there might be any other thoughts on this (aside from that of
> replacing Pulseaudio with its successor, which I'm not comfortable with)?
>
> The flakiness is particularly worrying--that only certain applications will
> crash with it.

Hi, Jennifer, I just went through a weird crash myself a few days ago.
I didn't do a good job of documenting, either. As fast as I'd click an
icon to open xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin for volume control, the GUI
window would snap back closed.

As best as I can tell, mine began IMMEDIATELY after optional package,
alsamixergui, was upgraded. I deleted that package and haven't had
another instance since.

Prior to deleting alsamixergui, I also tried purging ANYTHING related
to pulseaudio (and eventually anything "pavu") then reinstalling. That
still failed every time.

Sorry I don't have more other than to say maybe figure out the package
name involved in your instance and try opening it in a terminal. Mine
did spew out a few things while it was also snapping back shut going
that route, too.

Afterthought: Just remembered to check my websurfing history. This was
one error message I was receiving:

Failed to load module "module-native-protocol-unix" (argument: ""):
initialization failed. E: [pulseaudio] main.c: D-Bus name
org.pulseaudio.Server already taken.

This was one of the sites I visited that seemed worth saving just
because pipewire is beginning to received online mentions lately:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/issues/793

In the end, my thought process went to the "what upgraded just before
this occurred" place. That's when deleting alsamixergui became the
thing to do.

That alsamixergui package had just been upgraded maybe an hour before
my instance's erratic behavior began (too). May be a coincidence that
pulseaudio's GUI started working again after alsamixergui's deletion.
Then again, might be that alsamixergui's upgrade changed something
important.. or triggered a conflict. Who knows. :)

As a related aside that includes an "ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK"
disclaimer: I ended up test driving "pasystray" while purging and
reinstalling things "pavu". It's a little bit hefty looking and might
be of interest to curious sorts wanting to delve a little deeper into
their systems. Be aware that it might be possible to kill your
system's sound capabilities if your system offers a lot of choices
instead of just one and you're not sure about what you're doing.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey
* runs with birdseed *