Re: Reasonably simple setup for 1TB HDD and 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

On 08/12/2021 14:27, Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:

I understand you have one SATA 2.5" slot in your laptop and one NVMe
slot, and you want to utilize them both. My post below work on this
assumption.

For backups, I would continue my weekly manual
backups to my 1.5 TB external HDD with duplicity.

On the SSD I intend to leave 35 GB unpartitioned for extra over
provisioning.  It would have just one 215 GB partition.

Leave more overprovisioning if you can. Use Btrfs with zstd compression
for your / and /home, you will gain many gigabytes.

On the HDD I would put a 34 GB swap partition at the beginning, then a
215 GB partition for RAID1 with the SSD, then a 751 GB partition.

This doesn't make any sense. Don't run RAID1 SSD+HDD. You will kill all
gains SSD NVMe provides. 1TB 2.5" are totally slow and it will kill your
productivity. You may as well not be buying any NVMe if you are to use
it with RAID1 with spinning rust. Just run even hourly, or daily,
backups, rsyncs, or whatever tool you want to use, but don't run them
online as RAID1 together.

intend to put Debian system*and*  /home on the 215 GB RAID1, but I would
set all the XDG user dirs² on the 751 GB HDD partition

If I were you, I'd do as follows:

/ on NVMe Btrfs
noatime,nodiratime,space_cache=v2,ssd,compress-force=zstd:6,subvol=@

/home on NVMe Btrfs
noatime,nodiratime,space_cache=v2,ssd,compress-force=zstd:6,subvol=@home

/home/user/folder - that would be whatever is really big and you can't
fit it in SSD /home - make it your Videos, Steam games, your
storage-hungry app - put that as: HDD
noatime,nodiratime,space_cache=v2,compress-force=zstd:6,subvol=@hddfolder1
and mount that in fstab as your /home/user/folder

That way you have small /, bigger /home, both on SSD, and massive,
specific folders on HDD. Everything with compression on the fly. If you
have very slow CPU, decrease zstd compression to 3. If you really need
battery life, and don't want any extra CPU cycles, disable it.

Do the rest as you please, swap, tmp etc. Configure daily, weekly,
hourly rsync to copy everything on / and /home to HDD separate
partitions. That way if you NVMe dies you can plug new one, copy
everything back to it and start again.

Another option (I wouldn't do it, but here you go) is to replace 1TB HDD
for 1TB SSD. You can pair it with NVMe, it will be slower a bit, but not
that slow like RAID1 NVMe+HDD setup would be.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/