After upgrade from 10 to 11, 63 broken packages and aptitude never finishes.

Something got really messed up during the upgrade.  There are broken
dependencies and some packages (like some vim addon) don't work at all.
Vim, for instance is unusable.

I have tried all the dpkg/apt/apt-get commands to fix broken dependencies,
broken packages, etc, and they all return without error now [1], but aptitude
starts "resolving dependencies" and it soon uses up all the available RAM,
then all the available swap and the system slows down (thrashing) and then
freezes.

Earlier on, I fixed /etc/apt/sources.list and the apt/apt-get/dpkg commands
installed and removed some packages, but now it's at a steady state where
there are no errors according to these commands.

I've tried this operation (the same HD) on a system with 8 GB RAM (the
original system), one with 16 GB and one with 32 GB.  Same result.

I've even tried:

debsums -cs

Find which packages contain the corrupt files.  Returns a list of packages.

debsums -c | xargs -rd '\n' -- dpkg -S | cut -d : -f 1 | sort -u

Reinstall the damaged packages:

xargs -rd '\n' -a <(sudo debsums -c | xargs -rd '\n' -- dpkg -S | cut -d : -f 1 | sort -u) -- sudo apt-get install -f --reinstall --

Check if no corrupt files remain.  Should return no output if everything ok.

debsums -c

If config files have changed, this will show them.

debsums -as

But debsums -cs didn't return anything, so apparently nothing is corrupt, at
least as far as apt/dpkg/apt-get are concerned.

Apparently, the apt/dpkg/apt-get sub-systems don't find the problems.
Aptitude knows there's something wrong but can't fix it.

What can I do to make aptitude finish resolving dependencies and fix the
broken packages?  Where can I look for hints? Help please!

Augustine

[1] I've tried all the steps specified here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-find-and-fix-broken-packages-on-linux/
https://linuxhint.com/apt_get_fix_missing_broken_packages/

and more.  After so many tries, the same set of dpkg/apt/apt-get commands are
repeated on multiple web sites.