Re: Debian 11.1, xfce4-terminal, select entire line, middle-click, newline not pasted

On Sun 05 Dec 2021 at 11:56:23 (-0800), David Christensen wrote:
> I installed debian-live-11.1.0-amd64-xfce+nonfree.iso on a Dell
> Latitude E6520 yesterday:
>
> 2021-12-05 11:46:51 root@laalaa ~
> # cat /etc/debian_version ; uname -a ; dpkg-query -W xfce4-terminal
> 11.1
> Linux laalaa 5.10.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.70-1 (2021-09-30)
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
> xfce4-terminal	0.8.10-1
>
> On Debian 9 (and 10, and earlier?) with Xfce Terminal, when I select
> an entire line of text in one terminal and then middle click paste in
> another terminal window, the entire line is pasted; including the
> newline.  This is useful for running the same command in many terminal
> windows (e.g. 'ssh-agent bash -l', 'ssh-add', etc.).
>
> On Debian 11,  when I select an entire line of text in one terminal
> and then middle click paste in another terminal window, the line is
> pasted without the newline; requiring me to select the target window
> and press <Return>.
>
> How do I get Debian 11 Xfce Terminal to include the newline when I
> select an entire line in one terminal windows and middle-click paste
> it into another terminal window?

For *xterm, I have ~/.Xresources with the line:

  XTerm*cutNewline: false

because I prefer the lack of a newline: otherwise you get
no chance to tweak the line before it's executed.

Because I paste at point, on account of:

  ; Insert at cursor position (point) rather than the (unsteady) mouse position.
  (setq mouse-yank-at-point t)

inserting a newline just means pressing Return (no
selecting required as you're already in the window).

Anyway, if Xfce Terminal provides such a resource,
perhaps the default changed, and you can reverse it.

Cheers,
David.