Re: stability level of testing

On Fri, Dec 03, 2021 at 02:10:44PM +0100, daggs wrote:
> Greetings David,
>
> > Sent: Friday, December 03, 2021 at 7:00 AM
> > From: "David Christensen" <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Hi Dagg,

So (if I'm reading this correctly):

You're running one computer - with a base from some Linux distribution.

You want that to run libvirt and qemu but Debian's version was too old.

You want to instantiate two VNs.

One runs OpenWRT and "behaves" like a hardware router.

One runs Librelec and "behaves" like a media streaming box

You want to patch the kernel that runs on the main machine with an
out of kernel patch for ACS override that looks as if it exposes your VMs to a
security problem -
https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/bvif8d/official_reason_why_acs_override_patch_is_not_in/

A possible way forward:

* Backup your VMs to some sort of media

* Build a basic Debian box with minimal services and no GUI - and no patch.

* Maybe look to Docker to do this:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/23350-how-to-run-docker-containers/

https://github.com/openwrt/docker

To be honest - IMHO 3 x devices would not hurt, _especially_ a hardware
modem/router.

Doing this all on one machine - what happens when something locks up / one
piece of hardware breaks - do you lose everything?

All the very best, as ever,

Andy C.