Re: using intel i5 freqency governors

On Fri, 2021-12-03 at 10:19 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I get 'powersave' as default too. According to the ArchWiki site
> > [1]
> > modern Intel CPUs use the intel_pstate driver which selects
> > 'powersave'
> > by default, and it goes on to say:
> >
> >    The intel_pstate driver supports only two governors: powersave
> > and
> >    performance. Although they share the name with the generic
> >    governors, they do not work in the same way as the generic
> >    governors.
>
> Hmm... on my machine I don't have the `intel_pstate` loaded,
> apparently.
> Doing `modprobe intel_pstate` does nothing (no output, no error,
> nothing
> in `dmesg` either).  Maybe my i3-4170 CPU is too old and it silently
> bows out (and then some other part of the default config favors
> `schedutil` over `powersave` when intel_pstate is not in use)?

The ArchWiki page [1] says of intel_pstate:

   This driver implements a scaling driver with an internal governor for
   Intel Core (Sandy Bridge and newer) processors.

So yours is new enough. The docs on kernel.org [2] say it's Sandy
Bridge too.

On my kernel, the module is built-in to the kernel...

$cat /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.builtin | grep pstate
kernel/drivers/cpufreq/intel_pstate.ko

And its sysfs directory exists...

$ ls -ld /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec  3 07:52 /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CPU_frequency_scaling
[2] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.19/admin-guide/pm/intel_pstate.html

--
Tixy