Re: using intel i5 freqency governors

On 12/2/21, Stefan Monnier  wrote:
>>> The short story is that I have an Intel i3 windows 10 desktop with
>>> cygwin installed and an Intel i5 debian desktop.
>
> [ Side note: terms like `i3` and `i5` are basically marketing names
>   equivalent to "cheap" and "average price".  They do not correspond to
>   any specific set of features nor any specific performance level, so
>   they're of no technical relevance other than saying something like "an
>   intel CPU from ≥2009 with an amd64 instruction set".  ]

I found this site that compares the two cpus I have
https://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/414/Intel_Core_i3_i3-7100_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-9400.html

>>> How do I get the intel cpu "turbo boost" fully engaged when I'm
>>> running my script and go back into power save mode when the machine is
>>> idle?
>
> That should be the default behavior (i.e. if you don't touch any cpu
> power configuration).

Unfortunately, it clearly is _not_ the behavior I get.  .. and I
hadn't touched any power config until I was trying things to get my
900 second execution time down around the 600 seconds it takes on the
windows/cygwin machine.

> In that case, /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> should usually say `schedutil` nowadays AFAIK (which has replaced the
> previous default of `ondemand`).

hrmm...  I get
$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
powersave

$ sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance
Setting cpu: 0
Setting cpu: 1
Setting cpu: 2
Setting cpu: 3
Setting cpu: 4
Setting cpu: 5

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance

Lee