Re: using intel i5 freqency governors

>> The short story is that I have an Intel i3 windows 10 desktop with
>> cygwin installed and an Intel i5 debian desktop.

[ Side note: terms like `i3` and `i5` are basically marketing names
  equivalent to "cheap" and "average price".  They do not correspond to
  any specific set of features nor any specific performance level, so
  they're of no technical relevance other than saying something like "an
  intel CPU from ≥2009 with an amd64 instruction set".  ]

>> How do I get the intel cpu "turbo boost" fully engaged when I'm
>> running my script and go back into power save mode when the machine is
>> idle?

That should be the default behavior (i.e. if you don't touch any cpu
power configuration).

In that case, /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
should usually say `schedutil` nowadays AFAIK (which has replaced the
previous default of `ondemand`).

        Stefan