Re: Double boot (Windows & Debian) with UEFI mode

On Thu 02 Dec 2021 at 22:01:29 (+0000), Joe wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 14:29:31 -0600 David Wright wrote:
> >
> > This thread seems to have gone down a rabbit-hole.
> >
> > $ aptitude why os-prober
> > i   grub-common Recommends os-prober (>= 1.33)
> > $
> >
> > It has stretched the minds of people here to work out how to
> > make the d-i /avoid/ installing Recommends, so I can't see
> > why this would suddenly happen to a casual newcomer.
> >
> To be fair, it's four or five weeks since I last used an installer, and
> I certainly got os-prober then. But a few days ago, os-prober was
> disabled in that very installation after an upgrade. I can therefore
> easily believe that it could now be omitted on installation. Someone
> important considers it unnecessary.
>
> Again, there was a changelog mentioning this and saying how to work
> around it, but I feel that a Debian upgrade should not simply disable a
> piece of necessary and regularly-used software without at least asking
> the user first.

I guess this is why newcomer's don't run sid: it bites occasionally.

This is an upstream change in Grib, isn't it, and mentioned in
news.Debian. Perhaps you could submit a bug to have it brought to
admins attention through debconf (is it?—the one that displays when
you install, and sends the same message as an email to root).

Cheers,
David.