Re: Double boot (Windows & Debian) with UEFI mode

On Thu, 2021-12-02 at 13:52 +0100, Christian Britz wrote:

> Am 02.12.21 um 09:26 schrieb Joe:
> > On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 23:44:47 +0100
> > Christian Britz <cbritz@t-online.de> wrote:

> > > IIRC, you have to install package os-prober to achieve that.
> > >

> > Is that how the installer behaves now? It really doesn't care whether
> > there are other OSes installed already?
>
> To be honest, I don't know exactly what the installer does, if it finds
> another OS.

How would it do that? Detecting other OS's is what the os-prober
package is for. On my machines, os-prober is installed and I always
install to an empty disks and no other disk present apart from the
Debian installer on a USB stick.

>  Maybe it installs os-prober automatically then.
> In my case, I installed Windows later, and I am almost sure that I had
> to  install os-prober manually.

The grub-common package Recommends os-prober, so I would have thought
it would be installed automatically by the installer, unless you've
taken special measures to tell it not to install recommended packages.

--
Tixy