Re: Double boot (Windows & Debian) with UEFI mode

On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 18:18:48 +0100 (CET)
frantal@libero.it wrote:

> I have installed Debian 11 on a Dell T1650 Desktop PC (i7 & 24 GB
> RAM).
>
> I resized the 1GB HD leaving 300MB on which I installed Debian.

1TB? 300GB?

> At the request of the installation of Grub I indicated the HD.
>
> Now looking at it with Gparted the HD is divided as follows:
> dev / sda1 EFI system partition              (fat32) 100 MiB
> dev / sda2 Microsoft reserved Partition (unknown) 16MiB
> dev / sda3 Basic data partition (ntfs)                    629.28 GiB
> dev / sda5 grub2 core.img                                   1.00 MiB
> dev / sda6 ext4
> 27.94 GiB dev / sda7 linux-swap
>   977.00 MiB dev / sda8 ext4
>          272.71 GiB dev / sda4 ntfs
>                  520.00 MiB not allocated not allocated
>                       1.71 MiB What would be better to do to get Grub
> up and running?

I've never seen a 'grub2 core.img' before. Maybe someone else knows
what this is. I would expect the grub loader to have installed in the
/dev/sda bootloader area, with the main part in /boot.

> Can I do something to be able to boot on 2 OS (Windows 10 & Debian 11)

Not sure. It is certainly possible to dual-boot Win10 with Debian, I
have a recent sid installation which does that with no problems.
Whether you can get there from where you are, and how correct the Dell
UEFI implementation is, we don't know yet.

> Or do I have to make use of rEFInd?

Shouldn't need to.

At the very worst, you should be able to boot either from the computer
firmware boot menu, but that should only need to be a temporary
measure. If grub is installed correctly, both OSes should appear on its
menu.

> The boot is in UEFI mode.

Stretch could install in a Win10 dual-boot in UEFI mode fine, so that
shouldn't be a problem today. It Just Worked.

What happens when you boot now?

Do you get a grub menu? Does the computer boot straight into Windows?
Does it not boot at all?

UEFI complicates things, since I have two computers using it and
neither of the implementations is correct, in both cases my choice of
default UEFI boot drive gets overridden by the firmware. But that
shouldn't stop grub dual-booting properly.

--
Joe