Re: Double boot (Windows & Debian) with UEFI mode

On Thu 02 Dec 2021 at 19:30:20 (+0000), Joe wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2021 16:08:25 +0000 Tixy wrote:

> > > How would it do that? Detecting other OS's is what the os-prober
> > > package is for.
> >
> > Answering my own question, the installer may contain and use os-prober
> > without installing it to the target system.
>
> In which case it should install grub with a pre-awareness of other OSes
> present.
>
> Of course, one day an upgrade will be done, update-grub will be run
> without os-prober, and any other OS will disappear... that sounds like
> something Microsoft would do.
>
> Surely during installation, a check for other OSes should be performed,
> and if any are found then os-prober should be installed *and* *enabled*
> by default, as it will be needed during every subsequent update-grub. My
> sid just had its os-prober disabled by an 'upgrade', and I needed to
> tweak the grub defaults to get it back.
>
> Linux used to be promoted on the basis that it could be installed in a
> Windows system for evaluation if there was enough spare drive space,
> without affecting the Windows installation. It's hardly reasonable to
> expect a newcomer to Linux, having apparently lost his Windows
> installation, to research and install os-prober to get it back. The
> most clueful will simply run a Windows boot repair and forget about
> 'that damned Linux'.

This thread seems to have gone down a rabbit-hole.

$ aptitude why os-prober
i   grub-common Recommends os-prober (>= 1.33)
$

It has stretched the minds of people here to work out how to
make the d-i /avoid/ installing Recommends, so I can't see
why this would suddenly happen to a casual newcomer.

Cheers,
David.