Re: stability level of testing

Greetings Andrew,

> Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2021 at 10:05 PM
> From: "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

qemu 5.2 didn't supported my setup properly.
libvirt 7.0.0 I didn't tried.
I've encountered behavior change between libvirt versions.

> > I was using debian stable before, I've ended up removing it because I had a bug and the fix was in newer incompatible versions.
>
> Did you try asking on the lists about the bug / fixes - maybe ask the
> maintainers?
the lists aren't always cooperative for long.
infact, the reason I've left debian was because libvirt was upgraded from 6.5.0 to 6.8.0, that introduced an bug which caused my vm to stop booting.
when contacted the libvirt list, I was told it was fixed in 7.0.0.

> > also the one time I've upgraded the system, it broke my vms.
> >

> Broke how? A Debian stable system update shouldn't "just break" VMs.
> Or did you "upgrade" from stable -> testing or stable -> unstable?
> That's not necessarily an "upgrade" in terms of expected stability/lack of
> package churn.
no, I've upgraded from 9.0 to 10.0, that rendered all of my vms dead.
I wasn't able to find the reasons.
as my router is one of these vms, I needed to find alternative router until I've fixed it.
after trying, I've replaced debian with another ditro.
for me having the router vm broken means my system and network are broken because I cannot use any of them.

Thanks,

Dagg