Re: stability level of testing

daggs wrote:
> I'm thinking of migrating my main server to Debian, I need stability and recent version of small number of pkgs.
> in addition I need to recompile with a out of tree patch.
> I had Debian stable before but replaced it because upgrade broke the system and the versions used for the mentioned above set of pkgs were too old for what I need.
> I know that Testing has more recent pkgs version but I don't know how stable is it.

Don't do it for a server facing the Internet. Testing does not have
timely security support by concept.

Also by concept, it is of course not stable in the sense of Debian
stable distribution, it is more like a rolling release distribution.

On my desktop, I currently use the testing distribution, but I install
Internet facing applications like browser and mail directly from the
vendor, not from Debian's repository. For example, Firefox and Chromium
often get security patches very late in Debian testing.