Re: stability level of testing

On Thu, Dec 02, 2021 at 09:26:43AM +0100, daggs wrote:
> Greetings Christian,
>
> > Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2021 at 11:51 PM
> > From: "Christian Britz" <cbritz@t-online.de>
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: Re: stability level of testing
> >
> > Hello daggs,
> >
> > daggs wrote:
> > > there will be 2 main facing the Internet connection, server's upgrade and the router vm.
> > > the rest is internal
> >
> > Routing other computers to the internet, firewalling and so on? I
> > personally would not do this with the testing distribution, remember, it
> > has no timely security support.
> >
> > Current Debian stable 11 ("Bullseye") has not so old software and good
> > security support, consider using it for a server. You can search for
> > software versions using packages.debian.org
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Christian
> >

> the main pkgs I need are qemu, kernel and libvirt. my router is inside a vm.
> in stable, kernel is 5.10, although 5.15 is latest stable, I can live with 5.10
> however, qemu is 5.2 and libvirt is 7.0.0, these are major downgrades for me, I cannot use them.

They're usable and stable: you can use them, but choose not to, maybe.

> I was using debian stable before, I've ended up removing it because I had a bug and the fix was in newer incompatible versions.

Did you try asking on the lists about the bug / fixes - maybe ask the
maintainers?

> also the one time I've upgraded the system, it broke my vms.

Broke how? A Debian stable system update shouldn't "just break" VMs.
Or did you "upgrade" from stable -> testing or stable -> unstable?
That's not necessarily an "upgrade" in terms of expected stability/lack of
package churn.

> Thanks,
>
> Dagg

All the very best, as ever,