Re: Emoji fonts in Debian [WAS:] Re: How to NOT automatically mount a specific partition of an external device?

On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 22:58:58 -0600
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 27 Nov 2021 at 07:22:45 (-0600), John Hasler wrote:
> > Celejar writes:
> > > I'm curious: do most users of Debian on the desktop (who use MUA
> > > software, as opposed to webmail via a browser) have such a font
> > > installed, or do they see tofu?
> >
> > I use Gnus.  I've never manually installed any emoji fonts (or any other
> > fonts) but I see the glyphs, not the tofu.
>
> Questions like this remind me how little I understand font handling.
> I read mail in mutt in xterm in fvwm in X, currently in buster, and
> I see four glyphs. If I save the email in a file, then I see the

> I wrote /four/ glyphs, but it sounds as if Celejar sees three,
> the first one being coloured with some sort of skin tone. My
> second glyph, 🏻, is a half-tone box with three lines of dots
> inside, of 3, 4 and 3 dots.

I assume that the reason I see three and you see four is that the first
one (of my three) consists of a combination of the basic "blond haired
person" glyph plus a "light skin tone" modifier glyph, which are
presumably ideally supposed to be displayed together:

https://emojiterra.com/blond-haired-person-light-skin-tone/

Celejar