Emoji fonts in Debian [WAS:] Re: How to NOT automatically mount a specific partition of an external device?

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 10:43:16 +0000
Jonathan Dowland <jon+debian-user@dow.land> wrote:

> 👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland
> ✎	 jmtd@debian.org
> 🔗	https://jmtd.net

I finally got tired of seeing tofu for some of the glyphs in your sig,
so I looked up their Unicode codepoints:

https://www.unicodepedia.com/unicode/miscellaneous-symbols-and-pictographs/1f471/person-with-blond-hair/
https://www.unicodepedia.com/unicode/miscellaneous-symbols-and-pictographs/1f517/link-symbol/

My MUA is Sylpheed, and it would not display those glyphs, regardless
of which of my system fonts I selected as the Sylpheed display font.
After some more hunting on the web, I installed "Noto Color
Emoji" (fonts-noto-color-emoji), and presto, now I see the person with
blond hair and the link symbol! I see them even when I don't select that
font as the application display font - I guess Sylpheed, or some
component of its underlying infrastructure, looks throughout the
installed system fonts when there's no glyph for a particular codepoint
in the currently selected font?

I'm curious: do most users of Debian on the desktop (who use MUA
software, as opposed to webmail via a browser) have such a font
installed, or do they see tofu?

Anyway, TIL something fascinating. Now that I have Noto Color Emoji
installed, my email is much more colorful and cuter - Sylph apparently
wasn't displaying tofu for emojis in email subject lines, and was just
ignoring them, and I had no idea what I was missing ;) ...

Celejar