Re: Emoji fonts in Debian [WAS:] Re: How to NOT automatically mount a specific partition of an external device?

On 2021-11-27 at 21:08, Celejar wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 18:50:29 -0600
> Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
>
>> * On 2021 26 Nov 11:36 -0600, Celejar wrote:

>>> I finally got tired of seeing tofu for some of the glyphs in your sig,
>>> so I looked up their Unicode codepoints:
>>
>> Interestingly, I see the glyphs in Mutt running in Gnome Terminal and in
>> Vim as I edit this in the same Gnome Terminal.  My font is one
>> installed locally, Droid Sans Mono Slashed which provides the zero
>> character with a slash.
>>
>> I know that there is keyboard sequence in Gnome Terminal (Ctl-Shift-E
>> then Space) to bring up a menu to select Unicode glyphs.
>>
>> 🐮
>
> I'm pretty sure Droid Sans Mono Slashed doesn't have the glyphs in
> question, and that you must actually have the noto or similar fonts
> installed, with some part of the Gnome infrastructure finding them when
> you select the glyphs. What does "fc-list | grep noto" show?

If my own system is any guide, that may be an overly broad sort of
question.

$ fc-list | wc -l
   2479
$ fc-list | grep noto | wc -l
   1847
$ fc-list | grep -v noto | wc -l
    632

Asking for the output of something that produces potentially thousands
of lines may be slightly ill-advised (although asking the user to check
that output and report back might be another story, and now that I look
back it's not entirely clear which of the two you were intending).

The above is with the following installed package set:

dpkg -l "fonts-noto*" | grep ^ii
ii  fonts-noto-core     20201225-1   all          "No Tofu" font
families with large Unicode coverage (core)
ii  fonts-noto-extra    20201225-1   all          "No Tofu" font
families with large Unicode coverage (extra)
ii  fonts-noto-mono     20201225-1   all          "No Tofu" monospaced
font family with large Unicode coverage
ii  fonts-noto-ui-core  20201225-1   all          "No Tofu" font
families with large Unicode coverage (UI core)

I don't think I was aware that there are color versions, and I certainly
don't think I'd want them.

(FWIW, with this set installed, I see actual glyphs rather than the
"tofu' for each of the four in Jonathan Dowland's .sig - although I
can't actually quite tell what the second one is, even at full
enlargement.)

--
   The Wanderer